10 awesome and beautiful foreign words that can't be translated to English
Surely, these wonderful words describe phenomena and feelings you have seen and experienced, you just didn't have the right word to describe them. QuizzClub team believes we should steal these 10 outstanding units of speech to our language!
I thought some of my feelings I couldn't describe were strange and even... abnormal. Now I see that I'm not alone in that, and people from other cultures have even invented precise words to describe these concepts.
#1: KOMOREBI (Japanese)
- sunlight filtering through the leaves and branches of trees.
#2: HYGGE (Danish)
- an ability to recognize and enjoy the coziness and fascination of the present moment.
Now I know how to describe this warm Christmas feeling
#3: POCHEMUCHKA (Russian)
- that's how you call a person (especially a child) who asks you too many questions.
#4 SHLIMAZL (Yiddish)
- a person who is always unlucky.
#5 MÅNGATA (Swedish)
- a beautiful and mysterious reflection of the Moon on the water which looks like a shining road. Can also be translated as a "moon road".
#6 - RIRE DANS SA BARBE (French)
- quietly laughing in your beard at something funny from your past.
#7: SAUDADE (Portugese)
- a feeling of emptiness while missing someone or something you love which can't be reached anymore.
#8: FERNWEH (German)
- a strong desire to wander, travel. In other words, it's when you miss a place you've never been to.
#9: JAYUS (Indonesian)
- when an unfunny joke is told so badly you can't stop laughing at its awkwardness.
#10 MOKITA (Kivila)
- the truth everyone is aware of but chooses not to talk about.
Were any of these words familiar to you? Which of the feelings or phenomena from the list have you experienced in your life? Which word did you like most of all?
We are waiting for your comments!
More awesome stuff on QuizzClub.com:
- Healing features of Japanese food you may have never known about before
- 10 most gorgeous gardens from all over the world
- These colorful houses from all over the world will definitely make your day brighter
SHARE this article with someone who is interested in LANGUAGES and CULTURES!
All the people in the world want to be happy. Trying to make our life better, we usually forget that happiness truly starts with ourselves. When you are upset or at a loss, try to remember about these 10 simple truths and realize how happy you are to be alive.
Only true history-lovers know this story about the man who saved the world 11/27/2017 • jenniffer leston
The man who saved the world, reprimanded in his own country but still awarded in the USA and Germany.
People give nicknames to different objects in order to specify some qualities or characteristics. Nicknames are mostly funny, because of witty exagerations and comparisons. However, some of the nicknames come to us by chance. Let's investigate the origins of the following nicknames!
There are lots of people who believe that age can be an excuse of giving up dreams. Look at this outstanding example of a 92-year-old woman (as of 2017) who dedicated her life to sports.
They say, autumn is the best season for photography. This year, talented artists managed to prove it once again - just take a look at these stunning autumnal pictures and get ready to say "Hello" to winter..