How many actors from 1939 to 2016 have played Batman in films?
Since Batman’s creation in 1939, there have only been seven actors who have played the superhero on film. This year, Ben Affleck becomes number eight in Superman v Batman: Dawn of Justice.
1. In 1943, Lewis Wilson was not only the original Batman, but it was also his first serial film and his most popular. Unfortunately, most people have never heard of him.
2. Robert Lowery in 1949 played the Caped Crusader; John Duncan was the Boy Wonder. Lowery's serial film was made by Columbia Pictures. He worked as an actor until he died in 1971 of a heart attack.
3. Adam West who is famous for playing Batman was in a 1966 movie made more as a comedy and played on the comic strip’s sillier side.
4. Michael Keatons’ first foray as the Dark Knight landed on the year of Batman’s 50th birthday. Keaton played Batman in 1989 and 1992. Keaton was the first actor to use the line “I’m Batman”.
5. In 1995, Val Kilmer played Batman in the movie, Batman Forever. This film brought Robin back to the screen in the form of Chris O’ Donnell.
6. George Clooney got the role of Batman in 1997 in the film Batman and Robin. It has been said that this film bombed with fans and critics alike.
7. In 2005, 2008 and 2012, Christian Bale played Batman in three of Christopher Nolan’s movies. These movies centered on three themes: pain, fear and chaos.
8. Ben Affleck is now the latest Batman. In 2016, is Ben good or is he bad?