How much water is in Lake Superior?
1) Lake Superior, by surface area, is the world's largest freshwater lake.
2) The surface area of Lake Superior (31,700 sq miles) is greater than the combined areas of Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New Hampshire.
3) Lake Superior contains as much water as all the other Great Lakes combined and then throwing in 2 extra Lake Erie's.
4) There is enough water in Lake Superior (3,000,000,000,000,000 or 3 quadrillion gallons) to cover all of North and South America to a depth of one foot.
5) The deepest point is 1,300 feet below the surface.
6) Travel by car around the Lake covers about 1,300 miles.
7) On average, water will stay in Lake Superior 191 years.
8) The lake is so large that it has more than 400 islands in it.