Where is Hugh Town located?
The Isles of Scilly is the name of a beautiful archipelago off the southwestern tip of Cornwall. Hugh Town is the largest settlement on these islands. The town is situated on the island of St Mary's, the largest and most populous island; it serves as the administrative centre of the archipelago.
The name Hugh is derived from an Old English word “hoh” meaning a promontory or elevated ground. The Garrison was originally known as The Hugh or Hugh Hill. The same word is used in Plymouth Hoe and Hoe Point on Gugh. Cemeteries containing native British people were found in 1949 and 1960 on the Porthcress side of the town, when housing was built. The remains are dated from the 1st to 4th century.