Where is the Canfranc International railway station located?
Canfranc International railway station is a former international railway station in the village of Canfranc in the Spanish Pyrenees. The station, which was opened during July 1928, was constructed on a grand scale to serve as a major hub for cross-border railway traffic. Its main building incorporates elaborate Beaux-Arts architecture, featuring 365 windows and 156 doors, along a length of 240 metres (790 ft).
The station’s 365 windows, 200m-long (656 feet) platforms and the almost ostentatious grandeur of its design date back to the golden age of train travel. The critical role it played during the Second World War is still narrated in historical archives and documentaries.
International services came to an abrupt end during 1970 following a train derailment that damaged a key bridge in France. Canfranc station has remained open despite the international line's curtailment in 1970, but is served only by a handful of trains from the Spanish side alone. It has experienced a major decline and neglect, resulting in much of the site becoming derelict.
It earned the nickname “Titanic of the mountains”, but now the monumental and ill-fated train station at Canfranc is to get a new life as a five-star hotel, 51 years after the international rail link across the Pyrenees closed.