Which of these was the first cantilevered observation wheel in London?
The Great Wheel, also known as the Gigantic Wheel, was built for the Empire of India Exhibition at Earls Court, London, in the United Kingdom. It was the first cantilevered observation wheel in London. Construction began in March 1894 at the works of Maudslay, Sons and Field in Greenwich and it opened to the public on 17 July 1895. Modelled on the original Ferris Wheel which featured at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, US, it was 94 metres (308 ft) tall and 82.3 metres (270 ft) in diameter and weighed about 900 Tons. It stayed in service until 1906, by which time its 40 cars (each with a capacity of 30 persons) had carried over 2.5 million passengers. It was demolished in 1907 following its last use at the Imperial Austrian Exhibition.