A brief chronological narrative of Bedloe / Bedloe's Island follows:

1667: A Dutch colonist by the name of Isaac Bedloe receives ownership of the island.

1807: The island is declared a military post and work begin on a military fort meant to protect New York Harbor.

1811: A star-shaped fort is completed and guards the harbor during the war of 1812. The fort is later renamed Fort Wood.

1871: Frederic Auguste Bartholdi tours the United States for potential locations for the Statue of Liberty. He chooses Bedloe island as the ideal spot and designates it the site for the statue.

1875: Edouard de Laboulaye formally requests President Ulysses S. Grants’ permission to use Bedloe Island as the statues’ official site. Grant signs a bill declaring so on March 3, 1877.

1881-84: Foundation work for the pedestal begins on Bedloe Island. The cornerstone of the pedestal is laid.

1885: Statue arrives at Bedloe Island and is placed in storage until the pedestal funding and construction are complete.

1886: The pedestal is complete and the statue is reassembled on Bedloe Island and dedicated on October 28th.

1924: The Statue of Liberty is declared a national monument by President Calvin Coolidge.

1937: The War Department renounces control of Bedloe Island. The National Park Service begins to redevelop the island to complement the statue.

In 1956 Bedloe Island is renamed Liberty Island by an act of the United States Congress.

More Info: www.newyorktour1.com