What were X-ray machines used for in the 1940s and 1950s?
January, 18: An X-ray generating machine is exhibited for the first time
On January 18, 1896 an X-ray machine was formally displayed by H.L. Smith. In the 1940s and 1950s, X-ray machines were used in stores to help sell footwear. These were known as fluoroscopes. However, as the harmful effects of X-ray radiation were properly considered, they finally fell out of use. Shoe-fitting use of the device was first banned by the state of Pennsylvania in 1957.