Which famous garden is this?
The 'Jardin des plantes' (Garden of the Plants), also known as the 'Jardin des plantes de Paris' when distinguished from other 'jardins des plantes' in other cities, is the main botanical garden in France.
The term 'Jardin des plantes' is the official name in the present day, but it is in fact an elliptical form of 'Jardin royal des plantes médicinales' ("Royal Garden of the Medicinal Plants").
Headquarters of the 'Muséum national d'histoire naturelle' (National Museum of Natural History), the 'Jardin des plantes' is situated in Paris, on the left bank of the river Seine, and covers 28 hectares (280,000 m²).
Since 1993, the entire garden and its contained buildings, archives, libraries, greenhouses, a zoo, works of art, and specimens' collection are classified as a national historical landmark in France.
Founded in 1626, the garden was not planted by Guy de La Brosse, Louis XIII's physician, until 1635 as a medicinal herb garden. It was originally known as the 'Jardin du Roi'.