In which Canadian province is the 'Glenmore Reservoir'?
The Glenmore Reservoir is a large artificial reservoir on the Elbow River in the southwest quadrant of Calgary, Alberta. The Glenmore Dam is the concrete structure that holds back the reservoir. The reservoir is a primary source of drinking water to the city of Calgary.
Building began in 1932, with a cost of $3.8 million, and now the dam controls the downstream flow of the Elbow River, thus allowing the city to develop property near the river's banks with less risk of flooding.
Calgary pioneer Sam Livingston originally settled at the location of the reservoir, and he gave the name Glenmore (Gaelic for "big valley") to this area.
The dam was completed on January 31, 1933 and was designed by Canadian architecture firm 'Gore, Naismith and Storrie'. When the area flooded (by the summer of 1933), part of the Livingston house was preserved and now stands in Heritage Park, which borders on the reservoir.
The reservoir has a water mirror (surface area) of 3.84 km2 (1.48 sq mi) and a drainage basin of 1,210 km2 (470 sq mi).
In 2014, the city announced plans to upgrade the dam at a cost of $81 million.