Amebiasis is an infection of the intestines with a parasite called Entamoeba histolytica. The parasite is an amoeba, a single-called organism. People can get this parasite by eating or drinking something that's contaminated with it.

In many cases, the parasite that causes amebiasis lives in a person's large intestine without causing any symptoms. Other times, it causes:

1. Diarrhea

2. Stomach Pains

3. Cramping

4. Nausea

5. Loss of appetite

6. Fever

For some people, symptoms of amebiasis can begin within days to weeks of swallowing contaminated food or water. For others, symptoms can take months to appear.

Amebiasis is contagious. People with amoebas in their intestines can pass the infection to others through stool (poop) even if they have no symptoms. When infected stool contaminates food or water supplies, amebiasis can spread quickly to many people at once. This is especially true in developing countries, where drinking water may be contaminated.

More Info: