Where was the original bell cast (known as Big Ben) for the Elizabeth Tower in London?
Big Ben is the nickname for the Great Bell of the clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster in London and is usually extended to refer to both the clock and the clock tower. The official name of the tower in which Big Ben is located was originally the Clock Tower, but it was renamed Elizabeth Tower in 2012 to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II.
The original bell was a 16 ton (16.3-tonne) hour bell, cast on 6 August 1856 in Stockton-on-Tees by John Warner & Sons. It is thought that the bell was originally to be called Victoria or Royal Victoria in honour of Queen Victoria, but that an MP suggested the bell's current nickname of "Big Ben" during a Parliamentary debate; the comment is not recorded in Hansard.
Stockton-on-Tees is a market town in County Durham, England. Stockton is famous for its associations with the friction match and the Stockton and Darlington Railway, which operated the world's first steam-hauled passenger train in 1825 and the town also has the world's oldest passenger railway station building.