The "Jardin du Luxembourg", also known in English as the Luxembourg Gardens, was created in 1612 by Queen Marie de’ Médici (26 April 1575 – 3 July 1642). She married Henri IV of France in October 1600 following the annulment of his marriage to Margaret de Valois. Henri de Bourbon (13 December 1553 – 14 May 1610), was King of Navarre (as Henri III) from 1572 and King of France (as Henri IV) from 1589 to 1610. Marie belonged to the wealthy and powerful Florentine House of Medici. Following Henri's assassination in 1610, she acted as regent for her son, King Louis XIII of France, until 1617, when he came of age.

Situated on the border between Saint-Germain-des-Prés and the Latin Quarter, the Luxembourg Gardens were inspired by the Boboli Gardens at Pitti Palace in Florence, Marie’s ancestral home. The gardens cover 25 hectares (about 62 acres) of land. Throughout the gardens, there are over 100 statues. These include figures of notable European women and French queens and, a miniature replica of the Statue of Liberty.

As a residence, Marie commissioned a new building within the gardens, which she referred to as her "Palais Médicis". The Luxembourg Palace, built in 1625 by Salomon de Brosse for her, was a residence for the Royal Family before it was turned into a prison during the French Revolution. In 1958, Charles de Gaulle created the 5th Republic and the Senate that we know today.

The Luxembourg Gardens and Palace are owned by the French Senate.

More Info: