You can apply for a decree nisi if your husband or wife does not defend your divorce petition. A decree nisi is a document that says that the court does not see any reason why you cannot divorce. If your husband or wife does not agree to the divorce, you can still apply for a decree nisi. However, you’ll have to go to a court hearing to discuss the case, where a judge will decide whether to grant you a decree nisi.

If the judge agrees, the court will send you and your husband or wife a certificate. This will tell you the time and date you’ll be granted a decree nisi.

You’ll still be married after the decree nisi has been granted. You’ll have to wait 43 days (6 weeks and 1 day) before you can apply for a ‘decree absolute’ to actually end the marriage.

More Info: