10 awesome and beautiful foreign words that can't be translated to English
Surely, these wonderful words describe phenomena and feelings you have seen and experienced, you just didn't have the right word to describe them. I believe we should steal these 10 outstanding units of speech to our language!
I thought some of my feelings I couldn't describe were strange and even... abnormal. Now I see that I'm not alone in that, and people from other cultures have even invented precise words to describe these concepts.
#1: KOMOREBI (Japanese)
- sunlight filtering through the leaves and branches of trees.
#2: HYGGE (Danish)
- an ability to recognize and enjoy the coziness and fascination of the present moment.
Now I know how to describe this warm Christmas feeling
#3: POCHEMUCHKA (Russian)
- that's how you call a person (especially a child) who asks you too many questions.
#4 SHLIMAZL (Yiddish)
- a person who is always unlucky.
#5 MÅNGATA (Swedish)
- a beautiful and mysterious reflection of the Moon on the water which looks like a shining road. Can also be translated as a "moon road".
#6 - RIRE DANS SA BARBE (French)
- quietly laughing in your beard at something funny from your past.
#7: SAUDADE (Portugese)
- a feeling of emptiness while missing someone or something you love which can't be reached anymore.
#8: FERNWEH (German)
- a strong desire to wander, travel. In other words, it's when you miss a place you've never been to.
#9: JAYUS (Indonesian)
- when an unfunny joke is told so badly you can't stop laughing at its awkwardness.
#10 MOKITA (Kivila)
- the truth everyone is aware of but chooses not to talk about.
Were any of these words familiar to you? Which of the feelings or phenomena from the list have you experienced in your life? Which word did you like most of all?
We are waiting for your comments!
More awesome stuff on QuizzClub.com:
- Healing features of Japanese food you may have never known about before
- 10 most gorgeous gardens from all over the world
- These colorful houses from all over the world will definitely make your day brighter
SHARE this article with someone who is interested in LANGUAGES and CULTURES!
Find out the most widespread myths about world-famous sights that we believed were true. Perhaps, they will surprise you too.
Some people say that nothing changes as the New Year comes. Maybe they are right, but this new beginning is a good reason to set new life goals, isn't it? Inspiration is what you need to start changing your life right now. Here is the compilation of the most encouraging quotes that will set the mood for the year of achievements.
In this article you can find bright life-lessons based on Confucius' philosophy that help people live a happier life.
This simple test will help you to find out what your 2018 is going to be like 1/15/2018 • Heriberto Rayo
It won't take you long to pass this test - you are just to choose one tree you like the most from the list. As this test is based on color psychology, it will reveal your hidden thoughts and expectations concerning the New Year. They say, our thoughts determine our life... will they determine our 2018? Let's try and we'll see.