Mysterious secrets of the Mayan Civilization
In the jungles of Southern Mexico and Central America, the ancient ruins of the Maya posed a mystery. They revealed the civilization of stunning achievements created in isolation from Europe and Asia. It's no wonder people are interested in this culture. A lot of scientists, historians, and archeologists try to solve the secrets of the Maya. They have succeeded in some of them but not all of them. Check out these incredible facts about the Mayan Civilization to learn more!
Before we go deeper into the story of the Maya, do not forget about QuizzClub’s main goal to educate people in a fun way. Check whether you know the Mayan history and culture with three trivia questions below. Click them to check your answers:
- What is the name of the powerful Maya city-state that was a regional power in the southern Maya region?
- Who was the Mayan God of Rain?
- What food was highly valued in the Aztec and Mayan cultures and sometimes used as money?
Did you get them right? Let’s start with learning some historical facts about the Mayan Civilization:
- The term “Maya” is modern. The indigenous population never used it because there never was a common sense of identity or political unity among the distinct populations.
- The Mayan Civilization used wood, jade, obsidian, ceramics, sculpted stone monuments, stucco, and finely painted murals to create their artforms.
- This civilization is famous for its highly developed writing system, art, architecture, mathematics, calendar, and astronomical system.
Now let’s dive into the secrets of the Mayas.
#1 The Mayas liked a particular shade of blue
Blue was a significant color for them. The Maya people used it to cover pots, palace walls, codices, and bodies of human sacrifices.
#2 No one knows the source of the Mayan hieroglyphs
They used different forms of writing during their history, and only some of the symbols were somewhat deciphered.
#3 The Mayan people used toilets and fountains
It was first believed that toilets and fountains were built by Spanish invaders. Later it was discovered that the Mayans knew how to utilize water pressure.
#4 They had the game of life and death
The Mayan people played a deadly game in which players were supposed to pass a ball to one another only by using their elbows, hips, and knees. The team that lost was often used as a sacrifice.
#5 Much of the Maya world remains underground
Even the most famous Mayan sites like Tikal or El Mirador are only partially unearthed. There are a lot of things to be discovered.
Have you ever heard of these facts about the Mayan Civilization? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
SHARE this article with your friends!
In today’s post, we would be sharing these seven photos that show life from another perspective.
There are many underrated countries with beautiful views and picturesque cities. Most of them are incredible cheap to live in. Let's learn about 6 such countries.
We evolved to take animal threats seriously. But sometimes the animal in question is a show off. Many dangerous looking animals are harmless.
This talented artist surely knows how to give new life to old black and white pictures – his works will blow your mind away!