What are some daily things that we are unaware of?
1. Stickers on fruit: The stickers mark the country and producer of the fruit, but it’s the numbers that are the important aspect. If there are 4 digits and the first number is 4, then it means the fruit is sprayed with pesticides. If there are 5 digits and the first number is 9, then the fruit has grown organically, and if there are 5 digits with the first number being 8, then the fruit has been genetically modified.
2. Doughnut hole: In the past, it was difficult to get the edges and the middle of the pie equally baked. So they came up with the ingenious idea of using this shape to ensure equal baking on all sides.
3. The original reason for sunglasses: today it’s obviously to protect us from the sun’s rays. But the original purpose was to protect Arctic people from the dazzling rays of snow. And in 12th century China, they became particularly widespread among judges in order to hide their true feelings from witnesses.
4. Margins on paper: the original purpose was not for extra notes on the side. In the past mice and rats often gnawed on the paper, so in order for them not eat away the information, people started to leave spaces on the sides.
5. Holes in padlocks: People usually buy a new lock when their old one doesn’t work due to rain. However, the purpose of the hole is to put in oil - once done, the lock should be able to open with no difficulty.
Do you know secrets of other daily things? Share them in the comments below!
This information was taken from Quora. Click here to view the original post.
Share this amusing information with your friends on Facebook!
7 weirdest habits most people have
Don't say you don't have any weird habits. Actually we are so used to them that don't even notice. Read this article and you'll understand what I mean.
In many ancient cultures, elongated heads appeared as a result of cranial deformation, and arguably the most famous examples are those coming from the Paracas culture.
The Oscars have been around for over 90 years. Throughout its history many actors have walked the red carpet in some of the most lovely, bizarre, and unforgettable looks. It was difficult to narrow it down to just couple of looks but I choose based on the look’s memorability, influence, and timelessness.
6 unbelievable facts about crows
Crows have a bad reputation and are often associated with bad omen. However, these birds are very clever and their natural ingenuity is really striking. Let's admire it together!
5 weirdest museums in the world
When you think of a museum you probably think of natural history, dinosaur fossils, classic paintings and sculptures. But the world is a big place and there is a lot of bizarre stuff to show. So let’s talk about it!