11 significant history facts interpreted differently by other countries
It is hard to believe the way they treat the same historical events in different countries.
It may seem that history is a sequence of accomplished facts and we have no reasons for any dubious interpretation. But in reality it turns out to be otherwise.
Here is a collection of several examples, proving that history is one of the most inexact sciences.
#1 Who won the Battle of Waterloo?
- In British schools - it's the other way around.
#2 Controversy about the Hundred Years' War
- In France they pay practically no attention to this event in school classes.
- At the same time in Great Britain this battle is presented as practically the only battle of the Middle Ages.
#3 How history was taught in Nazi Germany
#4 Ways to study World War II
- US schoolchildren pay much less attention to the study of the Second World War. In fact, all they know about Germany - is a short history of WWII and Berlin Wall demolition. After that Germany disappears from their history books.
- In Great Britain they study history already in Elementary school. Children learn about the Norman conquest, about industrial revolution, the Tudor period (17th century) and WWII. In High school they return to it, choosing a certain specialization.
- In Russian schools, history of WWII is often limited by the period of Soviet Union's immediate participation. Many schoolchildren and even grown-ups often believe that WWII ended on May 9, 1945 (the day of Germany's capitulation). While officially the war ended on September 2 of the same year, when Japanese Instrument of Surrender was signed. The commonly believed key battle of the war is the Battle of Stalingrad.
#5 Japanese barely know the history of the 20th century
For example, there is only one line in the textbooks mentioning Nanking Massacre, when, according to various estimations, Japanese troops killed from 40 to more than 300 thousands Chinese disarmed soldiers and civilians.
#6 Importance of struggle for independence in USA and other countries
- In Great Britain there is no such topic in the official educational programme, though the event can be mentioned during discussions. And the point is that the revolutionaries succeeded thanks to the sponsorship of the French.
- In Hungary, this event is mentioned in classes as one of preconditions of the French revolution. There is a detailed description of "Boston Tea Party" protest action in the textbooks, as well as there is a poster of that time "Join, or die", but nothing more than that.
- In India this event is not mentioned at all at history classes.
#7 Texas independence
- In Mexico, history teachers say Texas has never been a separate country. Its land was "empty" after the war, until USA bought it.
Meanwhile, in Texas they teach that they won the war and became an independent republic with Sam Houston as president.
- In most other countries during history classes this event is not mentioned at all.
#8 Who won in Dunkirk (France)
This event is given a detailed account to both in France and Great Britain.
- In France they say about British army fleeing and leaving French troops to be killed by the enemy.
- In Great Britain this operation is regarded as a triumph.
#9 The way they teach history in Islamic countries
#10 Spain and The Conquest of Mexico
But there is not a word about how they were lost.
- No word about the huge Spanish Empire from Cuba to Manilla and Guinea.
- Not a word about the kill of the Indians.
- Nothing about slave trading.
#11 French comics-based study of history
What do you think about this situation? Share you opinion in the comments!
Read more on QuizzClub.com:
Somerset Maugham's thoughtful quotes about life
- Only true erudites know the hidden meaning of these words
- One mind-blowing story about gold that was left out of history books
Share this article and see if other people know the same history as you!
In today’s post, we would be sharing these seven photos that show life from another perspective.
Here are pieces of Buddhist philosophy that will help you to look inside and discover the truth about yourself.
This talented artist surely knows how to give new life to old black and white pictures – his works will blow your mind away!
With these nine images, we would be showing things that should be used worldwide to make our lives better!